BRIEF HISTORY OF THE NATIONAL THEATRE:
Building commenced 1920, opened 1921 as a cinema 3000 seats. Efftee Pictures F W Thring et al
By 1924 Mr Thring was on the board of Hoyts, and the Victory entered the Hoyts chain until 1971
Major reconstruction undertaken in 1928 reduced seating capacity to 2550 and made theatre more luxurious to compete with new Palais and Regent Theatres.
June 26 1929 converted to talking pictures
October 6 1937 seating was 1650 (stalls), 354 (lounge) and 537 (dress circle)
Purchased by National Theatre Movement 1971
September 1972 - conversion of former stalls into Studios completed & schools moved in.
1972-74 Work underway to add new stage to former dress circle continued
Opened as National Theatre 1974 - live venue using former dress circle as auditorium (800 seats). Current capacity 783